Research Communications Officer
The Bangalore Life Sciences Cluster invites applications from suitable individuals for the position of Research Communications Officer.
Research at NCBS covers a diverse set of subjects in modern biology ranging in scope from atomic to population level studies. inStem supports theme-based research with a focus on stem cell and regenerative biology at the interface of science, engineering and medicine. C-CAMP facilitates development and establishment of new high-end technologies via academia-industry partnerships.
The Research Communications Officer will work to develop timely news stories, press releases and related scientific content on research and innovation at the Cluster. The activities of the Research Communications Officer will help to convey the excitement of Cluster research to external scientific and other communities.
Key duties of the Research Communications Officer will include:
- Working with the faculty and researchers at the Cluster to mine for stories relating to scientific highlights from the campus
- Writing, researching and coordinating news stories, press releases and similar materials on emerging research and innovations from the campus
- Outsourcing news writing to external writers as needed
- Scientific editing of externally written content
- Coordinating media relations for the campus in the context of research breakthroughs
- Working across with the Communications officer and other colleagues at the Cluster as needed
- Contributing to a vibrant and professional science communication service for the Bangalore Life Sciences Cluster
Applicants to the role should have:
- A background in life sciences
- Relevant training in communicating science
- The ability to analyze, summarize and communicate information
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Additional relevant experience could include:
- Previous professional experience of working in the area of science communication
- Training in mass communication
- Prior experience with social media and digital communication
Closing date: 31st July, 2015 (Only candidates shortlisted for interview will receive a response)
An application package consisting of the following information should be sent, addressed to Head, RDO by a deadline of 31st July, 2015. The content should be emailed to email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Up-to-date CV with names and contact details of two referees
- A one-page description of why you believe you are an appropriate candidate for the role, highlighting your previous relevant experience in this regard
- A portfolio of writing samples