The National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), a Centre of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, is looking to appoint a Manager, Academic meetings and Events on a contractual basis. NCBS carries out cutting-edge fundamental research across a spectrum of topics in the biological sciences ranging from studies of biomedical research to ecology, evolution, and biodiversity. NCBS has catalyzed several interdisciplinary, novel, collaborative initiatives of relevance to the country. Such catalysis begins with inter-institutional meetings, discussions and brainstorming sessions, training workshops etc. We are looking for a dynamic person to lead this effort to continue the centre’s longstanding tradition of fostering cutting-edge and interdisciplinary and collaborative scientific activity to enhance scientific culture for the Indian community at large.
Roles and responsibilities
- Interacting with the director, deans and faculty and liaising with external agencies/institutions to organise short meetings/discussions/brainstorming sessions. Ensuring smooth logistics including permitting logistics of international visitors.
- Follow through of such meetings/discussions/brainstorming sessions to initiate concrete programs, MoU and other outcomes.
- Facilitating/writing relevant proposals for funding such interactions, including from government, philanthropy and international sources
- Supervising interactions and ensuring positive experiences for invited visitors and participants
- Supervising and ensuring smooth execution of meetings/discussions/brainstorming sessions and workshops in and off campus
- Monitoring feedback and incorporating improvements in the existing programme
- Extensive interfacing with the director, deans, faculty, communications office and other on-campus offices
- Co-ordinating meetings coverage, internal reporting and grant reporting
- The position will be based in the NCBS director's office
Essential Qualifications and Experiences:
- PhD degree in science, preferably biological sciences
- Minimum/up to 2 years of experience in science writing/academic management and/or organising workshops and meetings
- Experience with institutional engagement
- Excellent people and leadership skills
- Experience in writing proposals
- Knowledge of using analytical tools to assess the quality of the meeting
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills (in English), with proven ability to write and copy-edit different types of content for a diverse audience
- Interest and understanding of frontier areas of biological sciences
- Ability to work independently as well as supervise and motivate a team
- Excellent organisational, timekeeping and prioritisation skills
- Capacity to manage different projects simultaneously
- Familiarity with technology and ability to use all relevant software including those for online meetings
Skills & experiences required (Desirable):
- Some teaching experience and/or event management experience
- Experience creating novel inter-institutional programs
- Experience with the process of research and appreciation of the role of science networking
What can we offer you?
- Work with a great team, open to constructive discussions.
- Engage directly with one of the finest research labs and facilities
- An excellent and green work environment on our campus, with access to recreational activities, including pool, gym, sports complex and library.
No of position: One
Age limit: - Maximum 35 years as on 1.1.2023
Salary: Salary will be commensurate based on experience, skills, education etc.
The Last date for receipt of ONLINE applications: 19th May 2023
General Information :
1. The appointment to the above posts shall be made on a contract basis initially for a period of six (6) months from the date of joining. The tenure may be extended further up to One (1) year depending upon the performance & requirement.
2. The selected candidate shall be required to join immediately. The Institute reserves the right to restrict the number of candidates for the recruitment process to a reasonable limit on the basis of qualification and experience higher than the minimum prescribed in the advertisement. Mere fulfilling the essential and desirable qualifications will not entitle an applicant to be called for consideration for recruitment.
3. The Selection process shall involve two-stage i.e., a Preliminary Interview and the Main Interview. The Main Interview shall be conducted only for those candidates who are shortlisted based on their performance in the Preliminary Interview. Any change in the recruitment process will be intimated to the candidates in advance. The institute reserves the right not to fill the above posts herein advertised in case suitable candidates are not found. Canvassing in any form shall disqualify the candidate.
4. Prescribed age should not exceed 1st January 2023 for the above post.
5. Candidates applying for the above post and who are eligible for further age relaxation as per extant TIFR are required to submit applications by POST, along with a copy of the relevant certificate in support of age relaxation to the Head, Administration & Finance, National Centre for Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, GKVK Post, Bellary Road, Bangalore: 560065.
6. Incomplete applications and online applications without uploading the supporting documents in support of their Educational qualification, Date of Birth, Experience certificate along with pay drawn, etc. shall not be considered.
7. Government strives to have a workforce which reflects gender balance and women candidates are encouraged to apply.
The prescribed format for an offline application can be downloaded here: https://www.ncbs.res.in/jobportal/sites/default/files/pdf/job_application.pdf
HOW TO APPLY:
Step 1: Interested candidates should register ONLINE through the link on our website using a valid email ID.
Step 2: You will receive a user ID and password on your registered email ID.
Step 3: Using your ID and password you can fill in the application by clicking on “Submit Application”
Step 4: Once you fill in the application you can SAVE or PREVIEW the application. Please Note: Any corrections should be made before you SAVE the application.
Step 5: After you SAVE, you can submit the application by clicking “SUBMIT”.
Step 6: All essential certificate is proof of your qualification, date of birth, experience, caste, etc. Should be uploaded while submitting the Online application.
Head, Administration & Finance