Shachi Gosavi (NCBS, Bangalore), Hariharan Narayanan (TIFR Mumbai) and Piyush Srivastava (TIFR Mumbai) are looking for a Postdoctoral Associate/Research Fellow to work on biophysical questions involving RNA using tools from machine learning.
The project will involve both theoretical work on designing machine learning tools for the biophysical questions, and also implementing and evaluating these tools. Familiarity with practical machine learning is one of the main skills we are looking for, but some background in computational mathematics would be a plus.
PhD (for appointment as a postdoctoral scholar) / undergraduate degree (for appointment as a research fellow) in a relevant field, e.g. Computational Biology/Chemistry/Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering etc., with experience in computational methods.
(1) Familiarity with the use of computational frameworks such as Torch/Tensorflow, scikit-learn, numpy/scipy.
(2) Understanding of standard statistical and machine learning techniques.
(3) Willingness to pick up details of biophysical aspects of the problems being studied. Prior experience in computational biology/computational chemistry would be a plus.
Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience of the selected candidate as well as the level at which they are hired, and will be in accordance with existing TIFR norms.
The appointment would be for an initial period of 1 year, renewable for an additional period of 6 months to a year upon review.
Interested candidates should email Dr. Shachi Gosavi at the email address: email@example.com, with the subject line “[rna-project] Postdoc application: <name> (for candidates with a PhD degree) or “[rna-project] Research Fellow application: <name> (for candidates without a PhD degree). (The string “<name>” should be replaced by the candidate’s name.)
The email should contain the following information:
(1) A short description (about 5 lines) describing the reasons for the candidate’s academic interest in the position.
(2) The candidate’s CV (preferably in PDF format).
(3) Contact details (including affiliation and email address) for three referees willing to provide letters describing the technical and research background of the candidate
(4) A research statement (only for candidates with a PhD applying for a postdoctoral position).
Review of applications received will begin on October 15, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled